P.G. 66 Capua
"Capua is a very large camp used as a quarantine and transit camp and the strength varies from day to day. At the time of the visit there were 127 officers and 5,000 other ranks. It is situated in flat ground in a mild climate. A new officers' section is almost complete. It will consist of stone bungalows, with washroom, showers dining room and common room. At present the officers are housed in wooden huts.
'Six out of eight sections for other ranks are complete. The remaining two sections are still under canvas, but they should all be in huts by now. Sanitary installations are well constructed and there is an ample supply of water. Electricity is now satisfactory. Each section has its own kitchen and the POWs prepare their own food.
'Three Italian doctors and six Prisoner of War doctors work in the camp infirmary. There is an excellent de-lousing plant. There are two C of E chaplains and an Italian priest in the camp.
'Kitchen gardens extend between the barracks and also outside the camp. Pigs and rabbits are kept in the camp. A football ground and tennis courts are being made. Some clothing has been distributed by the Detaining Power, but stocks are needed as Prisoners of War arriving at the camp must be fitted out. There is a good stock of Red Cross parcels. (visited November)"
Official Red Cross Report on Camp 66, printed in the May 1943 issue of the British Red Cross magazine 'Prisoner of War'
There is more information about this camp via these links:
(Please email names to email@example.com)
(Cecil) George Abel
Dennis Ronald Antrobus
Frederick Walter James Camburn
John Philip Gelly also these links: Preface Biography Escape Route
Cecil Walter Roberts
William Christopher Slayford